Friday, November 7, 2008

What? Sorry, I was listening to this podcast...

Whoops. Sorry, I didn't hear you. I mean, I heard you, but I was listening to this podcast, so could you repeat what you said? Hold on, let me turn this off. Pause, pause, ah here we go: Pause. Now, then.
I have issues, you see, with multitasking. I can't be doing more than one thing at a time, or at least, I can't be doing more than one thing well at a time. When I'm reading, I've gotta read and not, say, drive. When I'm composing a blog post, I've gotta think about the words I'm typing and not the voice in my earbuds. Today, the voice is a guy who calls himself Steve Runner, and the podcast it "Phedippidations," the "podcast for runners." Turns out it is the ruminations of a fellow in New England about life, family, stuff, and not so much about running...at least not this latest one, the first I've heard. Or maybe it is and I'm missing the running content because I'm trying to think and type and, yeah.
I managed to find a couple (purportedly) running-related p'casts on podfeed.net. Maybe there will be some with more of an emphasis on the sport, less of an emphasis on this guy's experience going trick-or-treating with his kid.
But you know what these would be good for? Listening to on LSD days. Whoa, whoa, now, all you non-runners: LSD stands for Long Slow Distance, a workout you do once a week or once every two weeks. The Long Run, the one you do to train the body to run, not fast, but for a long time without stopping. On these days, you don't load your iPod with Motorhead and Minor Threat. You do an audio book or something. Like a podcast. You put your legs on autopilot and focus on the words, and zone out for a couple hours. (Maybe elite runners can actually focus on form and turnover and breathing for hours at a time. Not me, bruh.)
Okay, okay, now the guy's talking about strengthening the core and how that is important to running. This I can use. But of course I missed the first part of it because I was writing this. Gotta go back.

No comments: