Saturday, November 15, 2008

Running with Louis L'Amour

Turns out that "Ride You Tonto Raiders" is almost perfectly timed for an 11 mile run, including pre- and post-run stretching. I finally managed to download it from MOLDI. Not that it was complicated: it is actually pretty intuitive. But I didn't want the thing taking up space on my hard drive at home, even temporarily, and the computer at my desk at work won't allow the download. Something about being unable to authenticate a verifying numbery whosis. So I imagined I was a library user and got on an express computer. I was able to browse for the title, check it out, download the Overdrive reader/manager, and download the book to a flashdrive during that one 15-minute session. Later, I simply moved the files from the flash drive directly onto my mp3 player. So easy. I've noticed, though, that the mp3 audio selections are pretty limited compared with pc, wma, ipod. I want to keep my iTunes and 'Pod free from stuff that I'll only listen to once. I guess it'll be the nano for shorter, high-intensity runs that call for Descendents and Angry Samoans, and the muvo for LSD runs (don't freak out, man--Long Slow Distance), when a story about a lone gunfighter helping a strong-willed widow keep her ranch will serve to keep one's mind off of developing aches, cramps, and chafed...um...nipples. (Sorry, no way to soft-pedal that. Think I'd have learned by now: for any distance over 10 miles, slap on a couple bandaids.)

1 comment:

Chris said...

That's cool. I ran a half-marathon in August and listened to a couple of Louis L'Amour audio adaptations during the run. They really helped!