Saturday, September 20, 2008

Twaddle

Allright. I have a twitter account. Now I can let all my friends and relations know that I am going to have chinese food tonight. I'm sure they'll be absolutely fascinated. How inane. This is the online equivalent of the people you see pushing their grocery carts and talking on their phones, saying, "Hi. Yeah, I'm at the grocery store. Buying groceries. Ooo, asparagus is on sale." My god. This is like blogging without a topic. "Havin' a cup of coffee." "Think I'll go buy a magazine." "Wonder what's on TV." "How 'bout them Buckeyes." Who uses this? Someone who is online all the time. All. The. Time.

Yeah, yeah, no doubt I've misunderstood the purpose of this wonderous innovation. No doubt this is a way for friends and relations to keep in close touch, learn about each other, whatever. I can do without being tweeted at. "What's that you say? The Chipotle you had for lunch is giving you gas? My, my! I am SO glad you told me."

Could this have an application in library service? I rather hope not. But if you wanna follow me around and learn all about my adventures, here: http://twitter.com/meesterdavid

1 comment:

Justin said...

Some people use twitter in their organizations. For instance, the Learn and Play twitter updated to let people know that some branches were closed. Some people use it for inane things, but it can be used productively.