Saturday, October 18, 2008

Of course you care about my opinion...

Thank you for this opportunity to let you know what I think. Favorite movies, favorite sports, favorite music...Hey, I didn't see favorite music. Well, now, I'm glad you asked.

I am a believer in the "Birdseye" theory of musical predilection. You can be raised in whatever tradition, you can be exposed to all manner of music throughout your life, but there is a window during adolescence when the stuff you are listening to is "flash frozen" into your psyche. For the remainder of your life, it will evoke a response like no other type of music.

For me, thankfully, it was american hardcore punk rock. Man, if I'd been born a couple years earlier, I'd have come up listening to disco or some of the dreadful radio music of the mid seventies. Luckily, by the time I was hitting my teenage stride, I was listening to the DKs, DOA, Agent Orange, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, and all that good stuff. A mellower part of me was into Joy Division, Bauhaus, early (i.e. scary and depressing) Cure, the Cramps, and a bunch of others. Oh, and the Ramones, which is its own category.

And so to this day, that music tickles the old hypothalamus like nothing before or since. I listen to and enjoy all kinds of stuff, but throw on some Husker Du...ahhh, oooh, yeah, right there.

And hey, want my opinion on Palin? She's stupid.

No comments: