Thursday, August 21, 2008

Blog vs. Rant

Up until now I have been reluctant to blog, and I think I've narrowed the reasons for this down to three:
1. Nobody could possibly be interested. Blogging when I have nothing to say is disrespectful to any potential reader, who surely found my post by accident. Even if I have something to say, though, why should anyone care? A blog is like a diary one writes in and leaves lying around hoping someone will peek at it.
2. There are millions of blogs out there. If I do it too, I'll be contributing to all the noise. By not blogging, I am taking a principled stand against web clutter, though it may be an immeasurably small gesture. Just as I know that using a compact flourescent bulb in my laundry room is not making a huge impact on the global climate crisis and yet I do it anyway.
3. I know myself, and I know that if I keep at this long enough my innocuous ramblings will evolve into vitriolic rants bound to anger and alienate all who stumble upon them.
But I'm doin' it anyway. And I know you are hanging on my every word...

2 comments:

kkbookmom said...

I have to admit that I have a similar reluctance to blogging. I have had blogs before, but mainly so that I can keep track of and comment on my own kids blogs (and their friends - somebody has to keep an eye out for them ;-). I have no clue who would WANT to read about my life and WHY. But you are doing it, and so am I, and in the long run it will help us evolve as humans. Good luck!

Art Vandelay said...

I have never been a journal writer or have kept a diary so I was not sure what I would think about writing a blog, but I have to admit that I have really been enjoying blogging and I have especially been enjoying reading other staff member's blogs.